Sunday, March 24, 2013

A BIG Weekend!

This past week was a big week for me. I competed in my first two professional races AND I came back to Colorado Springs with a ring on my finger and Brad Miller as my fiance! In accordance with saving the best for last, I'll let you know how the race went first.


The start!
Coming out of the water in 4th!
 
Sarasota was an Olympic distance race, so it was double what Clermont was the week before. The swim started off great with me coming out of the water in 4th place. I hopped on the bike and somehow missed being with the lead pack. So there were about 4 athletes on the bike ahead of me and then about ten athletes in a pack behind me. After doing two of the eight 5k bike laps by myself I was pretty tired. The wind on the way out on the bike was relentless and if there is one thing I have learned about draft legal races in my first race, it is that being part of the pack is much more fun than being by yourself. Then around the turn I noticed there were now only three girls ahead of me! When what to my wondering eyes should appear but McLarty moving up from the rear! Unfortunately she had gotten a flat, but fortunate for me she was now stuck with me!
McLarty and I working together on the bike.
 
 So we worked hard together trading off the leads to maintain our distance from the lead pack while also trying to hold off the pack behind us. It was tough work, but we ended up getting off the bike about a minute back from the leaders and a minute up from the next group. On the run I was quite tired. I came off the bike in 5th and ended up getting 7th and in the money woot woot!
A hard lonely run
 
 Once again I know there are plenty of places to improve, but being only my first two races I've got to say I'm pretty darn happy with my standings. My next race I do is going to be WTS San Diego, which is the most competitive of the ITU draft legal triathlons. I'll be going up against some of the best in the world, and my goal will be to enjoy the ride and use this race as yet another learning experience to help me prepare to be the best in the future.

Now on to the more important stuff...

 
 After the race Brad, my mom and I all went out to dinner in Siesta Key at The Cottage, which I would highly recommend if you ever find yourself in the area. Having planned in my head that my perfect proposal would be on the beach I was wearing the outfit that I had picked out just in case it actually happened. Then I noticed during dinner he had something extra in his pocket, and when my mom hung back on the beach while Brad and I went for a walk after dinner I was pretty sure I had put all the pieces together correctly ;). As much as I love surprises I tend to ruin them through good detective work.
This is actually the night before, at the moment my mom's camera is hoarding the real post-engagement photos.

We continued on the walk with Brad holding my hand tighter than ever, and seeing Brad nervous is not a common sight. So we continued to walk until we were alone on the beach and then I got the most perfect proposal I could have ever planned. Oh right and I said YES! Brad is my best friend, my biggest supporter, the person who is there for me no matter what emotion I am going through and the best travel buddy and playmate a person could have. I couldn't feel more blessed and excited to be the future Mrs. Katie Miller and spend the rest of my life with him!

3 comments: